Yaletown Naturopathic Satellite Clinic in Haida Gwaii August 17, 2015Posted by Dreamhealer in haida gwaii, naturopath, Naturopathic Doctor, vancouver.
Tags: haida gwaii, Naturopathic doctor, naturopathic medicine
The team at Yaletown Naturopathic Clinic were invited to Haida Gwaii to establish a satellite clinic within the Skidegate Health Centre. We were delighted to be able to share our knowledge within the community. The Skidegate Health Centre aims to move their model of care from treating illness to promoting wellness which is in line with the principles of Naturopathic Medicine!
Naturopathic doctors are guided by six fundamental healing principles:
- First, to do no harm, by using methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- To treat the causes of disease, by identifying and removing the underlying causes of illness, rather than suppressing symptoms.
- To teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine, by sharing knowledge with patients and encouraging individual responsibility for health.
- To heal the whole person through individualized treatment, by understanding the unique physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors that contribute to illness, and customizing treatment protocols to the patient.
- To emphasize prevention, by partnering with the patient to assess risk factors and recommend appropriate naturopathic interventions to maintain health and prevent illness.
- To support the healing power of the body, by recognizing and removing obstacles to the body’s inherent self-healing process.
The response from the Haida Gwaii community was overwhelmingly positive. As practitioners it was very rewarding for us to see how much the medicine resonated with the patients. We look forward to returning to Skidegate in the future and partnering with the community to help build a proactive wellness model to better support the health of the community.
During our stay in Haida Gwaii we were very fortunate to be able to explore the island and ocean! To see photographs from our trip to Haida Gwaii please visit our Facebook page, we have a album labeled Haida Gwaii July 2015: